Friday, May 6, 2011

Living and Riding

The last few weeks have come and gone like the blink of an eye.  My baby boy William is growing and changing greatly on a daily basis.  We've been getting a lot of great smiles from him which makes every day that much better.  William is up to 9 lbs. and gaining!

Spring is finally starting to come around in terms of the temperature and the good amount of rain and recent sunshine is sure making the grass grow.  I'm going to have to spend some time riding the lawn mower this weekend rather than turning the cranks on the bike.  There's plenty of yard work that needs to be done to clean the yard up from winter including picking up the ridiculous amount of branches that got brought down.  At least I have plenty of firewood and kindling which will make for some great evenings by the fire over the course of the spring, summer, and fall.

Training on the bike has picked up again after a short stint away from riding.  We went to Ohio over Easter to visit some of Amy's family and then I had to travel to Dallas for work for a few days.  All this travel led to a full week off the bike; however, with that bit of a break I feel stronger on the bike than ever this year.  I participated in a criterium practice held by one of my good friends and teammate in West Bend this last Tuesday.  We had about 12 participate and had a great series of short races.  Last weekend I was also able to get in a great 96 mile ride around southeastern Wisconsin joining two rides on Saturday morning and continuing on my own from Holy Hill up to my hometown in Horicon.  5 good hours of time on the bike sure helps with endurance training!

Tomorrow I'll be participating in my first race in almost a month down in Muskego.  Hopefully the rain will hold off otherwise I will hold off the racing until next weekend in Chicago and Madison.  Additionally, I hope gas prices start to recede a bit to make the travel to some races less costly.  A number of races might get cut out of the schedule if the cost to get to the races is more than any of the payouts can cover.  At the end of the day though it should be a fantastic year of racing, especially with my newest fan William coming to the races!

No comments: