Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Doubling Down

Doubling up the races this year will be the theme for me leading up to the Tour of America's Dairyland coming up in mid to late June.  The Matt Wittig Memorial Criterium was help in Muskego Park this last Saturday, on a day that was cool and cloudy but had the sun make an appearance later in the afternoon.  I participated in the 3's and 1/2/3's races in which I went into without much of a game plan.  That's usually never a good idea when going into a race but this wasn't one of my favorite courses and it hasn't treated me well in the past. 

The 3's race started out quickly with numerous attacks coming on the uphill by the start/finish.  About half way through two broke off the front that the field hesitated to chase.  A lap later, two Team Wisconsin riders set themselves up well to send one off the front while blocking those behind from joining the break.  I was one of those unfortunately positioned and all I could do was watch.  Before we knew it, that rider had joined the break and we didn't see them until the race was done.  So it was down to a field sprint for 4th place.  I sat about 15 wheels back going into the final 90 degree corner and allowed those in front to sprint too early.  Passing riders as we neared the line, I engaged my sprint just before the final riser to the line and managed to pass 3 additional riders to finish 6th.  Hey, 3rd in the fields sprint.  I'll take it.

Next up was the 1/2/3's.  There was no slowing down in this race until we finished 75 minutes after we started.  I just sat in the field the entire race using it as a good training ride.  The pace was high and we occasionally had accelerations on every part of the course.  No rest for the wicked.  I wasn't position well at all for the finishing sprint but as we came through the final corner the two riders in front of me both had nothing left.  A gap opened between the leaders and myself and I gave it all I had left to cover.  I caught the field just as they launched their sprint.  With nothing left I sat up and rolled it across the line.  26th.  Good enough for day's work!

This upcoming weekend brings about the opportunity to compete in the Monster's of the Midway in Chicago on Saturday and Wheels on Willy in Madison on Sunday.  Hopefully the weather will hold up, but if it rains, there will be no racing!  Yes, fair weather racing for me.  That's all folks...

No comments: