Thursday, August 11, 2011

All Geared Up

The Madone is back!  Trek sent me a brand new 2011 Madone 6.9 SSL and even put my yellow and black colors on the frame.  After some analysis on the previous frame, Trek identified that there was a defect in a carbon seam that led to the break in the rear seat stay in addition to the stress that the frame encountered during the race.  Trek warrantied the frame and I'm now back training and racing.

The Tour of Elk Grove was this past weekend in (you guessed it) Elk Grove, IL.  This race is one of the best races of the year and boasts one of the best payouts for a Cat 3 race.  The race started fairly uneventful until one guy went off the front and I jumped the gap up to his wheel.  We managed to stay away from the field for about 6 laps, gaining upwards of 15 seconds at the max.  Unfortunately, the guy in the break with me wasn't strong enough to hang onto my wheel and he eventually gave up when he noticed the field started gaining time on us.  Had to try for the breakaway!  The rest of the race was trying to stay upright.  Halfway into the second last lap, two goofballs in front of me tangled up but managed to keep the bikes and bodies off the pavement.  I went to the outside going into a right-hander but one of the Spaceballs shot out wide and forced me off the road.  Cyclocross!  I bunny hopped the curb and then again over a massive mud hole, onto a drive and back on the road.  I lit a few matches getting back to the front going into the last lap.  On the sprint I was positioned well, I went early and was making up ground to the leaders when the door was shut.  I called an audible and went left allowing myself to take a few more places.  8th place for the first race on the new bike and $100 in the pocket.  That's right, $100 for 8th place.  Did I mention it was the best payouts of the year?

Anyway, the road racing season is beginning to wind down with only a handful left.  My scheduled races are as follows:
Saturday, Aug 13 -  N.E.W. Wheeling Weekend - Manitowoc, WI
Sunday, Aug 14 - N.E.W. Wheeling Weekend - Menasha, WI
Friday, Sep 2 - Gateway Cup - Lafayette Square Crit - St. Louis, MO
Saturday, Sept 3 - Gateway Cup - Tour des Hills - St. Louis, MO
Sunday, Sep 4 - Gateway Cup - Giro della Montange - St. Louis, MO
Monday, Sept 5 - Gateway Cup - Benton Park Crit - St. Louis, MO

That's it!  Maybe a Wisport road race too up in Cleghorn... maybe.  It may not be the end though.  I'm thinking about trying cyclocross this year, however that means some additional investment in another bike.  Not sure the financial budget will allow for cross this year.  We'll see.

Well here is what the post is really about...  Later!





No comments: