Sunday, July 18, 2010

Capitol Reef Classic

After beginning my vacation over a week ago, I've arrived in Breckenridge ready for some high-altitude training.  The previous week brought me some good rides in eastern Wyoming and Yellowstone National Park.  Those rides helped to get my lungs ready for the Capitol Reef Classic (CRC) stage race in Utah.

First off, this was the third year of the CRC in which participation has been growing each year.  The CRC consists of an 8.1 mile time trial, 52 mile circuit race, and an 81 mile road race all completed in two days.  The weather was mild (or at least that's what they said compared to last year) with temps ranging from upper 80's to low 100's, but it's a dry heat and I learned quickly that it is much better than 90 degrees and 90% humidity we receive in the Midwest.



The time trial on Friday morning started off okay for me but as the miles ticked by the lack of oxygen started to burn up my lungs.  I hammered through the remaining miles after being passed by the fella that started 30 seconds behind me.  When being passed in a TT, motivation really bottoms out!  I finished with a time of 18 minutes, 19 seconds; good enough for 17th place.  17th was better than expected because it wasn't a DFL!


Friday afternoon rolled around and it was time to suit up again and give the 52 mile circuit race a go.  Partly cloudy and hot we rolled out of Teasdale, UT for 3 laps of a 17.3 mile loop.  The circuit race reminded me greatly of the LaRue-Denzer race back in Wisco; however, this race was much worse.  Climbs were just as long, but these were much steeper; and did I mention, these guys can climb...  I hung on with the front runners until the final 8% grade climb and pop I went off the back.  Rolled in for 12th place with a time of 2:21:21 after a long day in the saddle.


Speaking of a long day in the saddle, Saturday's 81 mile road race over a mountain pass and around Fish Lake was a really, really long day in the saddle.  We rolled off early at 8 AM and began what was to be the hardest race I've ever competed in.  Up and down for the first 13 miles and then we called a "natural" (early on, but well needed).  All long mileage road races should have these, they're worth a million bucks!  Shortly after, we hit the first major climb, a 5 mile steep killer of a climb.  The field was decimated and 10 riders danced on the pedals away from the rest of us.  3 of us managed to catch back onto the main field on the downhill just before feed zone 1 but after digging hard on the downhill to catch up, we didn't have enough to hang with that group on the second major climb.  This second climb was about 8 miles long and averaged 8 to 10% grade.  After getting into a rhythm I was able to motor past the other chasers up the hill.  After the second major climb, there were only steep rollers left for the remaining 42 miles.  Altitude was again beating on my lungs as we climbed up from about 6,200 ft to nearly 10,000 ft.  I hung on the back of the chase group the rest of the race until being dropped on the final climb.  Finished 17th with a time of 4:08:48.

The road race was absolutely phenominal!  It hurt like hell but was absolutely awesome when bombing down the mountain side at 50+ mph.  If we didn't use brakes because of some of the turns, I'm sure we would have easily been in the 60 mph range.  Absolutely awesome!!!

When all said and done, I finished 15th in the overall GC standings with a total time of 6:48:28.  Not bad for the first time racing in the mountains!

As mentioned earlier, Breckenridge is the destination of choice for the rest of my vacation for some relaxation and some high altitude training.  Hopefully I'll be able to bring some big lungs home to rip it up on the Wisco tarmac.  I'll be back in a week!

1 comment:

Jeramey said...

Nice report and good job! Way to represent, look forward to you ripping my legs off.