Monday, May 11, 2009

Fast Race and Sketchy Riders

For my first time racing as Muskego, I got to get a taste of the hill that many mention when talking about racing at the county park. The cat 4/5 field started with approximately 40 to 50 riders or so and quickly became a strung-out mess shortly after the start. I didn’t start so well though, I had the worst time clipping in and had to one-leg it up the hill. I felt as though I completely forgot how the clip in pedals worked. Once clipped in, it was balls-to-the-wall to catch the pack and move to the front. I was feeling pretty good about 4 laps in and Mark Howe, one of his teammates and I tried to attempt a breakaway. It ended up to only be an attempt as the downhill on the backside of the course really helped the field stay in contact with us. I remained at the front sitting about 4 wheels back most of the race but wound up in front a number of times after the climb. The race remained at a high pace throughout the 45 minutes as multiple attacks came on the hill. This was the first race that I was in which many of the riders were very sketchy. Most didn’t know how to hold their line through corners and there was one individual who repeatedly cut me off. What goes around, comes around. He got cut off by another rider going into the final corner. The pressure was really turned on the last lap as coming out of the last corner the field became very strung out. I was back about 10-12 wheels and knew I had to start my sprint really early in order to move up. After passing 6 or so riders I wound up in 6th place. Luckily I didn’t drift to the left during my spring or I would have run my teammate Jeramey Werbelow off the road. I had no idea he was there until were about 10 meters from the finish when he came past me. Jeramey had a strong sprint at the end to finish 4th. Once again Team Extreme had riders in the top 10 which means more team points! Next up: Wheels on Willy in Madison...and possibly new kits too! Woot!

No comments: