Sunday, April 26, 2009

Race Report - Whitewater Road Race

As the first Wisport race of the year got underway, rain made a grand appearance along with the Brone’s Cycling Team. The race started 20 minutes late due to lightning however this did not damper anyone’s spirits. The Brone’s team picked up where they left off the 2008 season sending repeated attacks and using team members to mark the peloton’s advances. About 5 miles into the 25 mile race a group of 8 broke away, I tried to cover the gap but had no help from the rest of the field, the 8 got away. The main field pressed on with a number of attacks coming from random participants. I stayed at the front of the main field knowing that with the rain, to finish at the front of the main field I would have to be the first one into the right hand corner to sprint up the hill to the finish. The rain kept falling with multiple down pours making cornering sketchy. The race went quick, so quick that I didn’t even realize where we were when the field picked up the pace nearing the finish. I looked around and noticed that I was about 10 wheels back and boxed in with about 400 yards to the right-hander before the finish. Everyone was jockeying for position and a gap opened up and I sprinted to the front, took a flyer into the corner and found myself sprinting up the hill to the finish in the lead of the main field. A Brone’s team member marked my sprint up the hill and beat me by about half a wheel. Because of all the rain and water being kicked-up from the road, my timing chip didn’t work. I didn’t notice this until results were read, however I was able to validate my finishing place with the official and got the results corrected. Overall I finished in 10th place. Next race I have to make sure I place myself within the field to be able to react to repeated attacks and stay on Mark Brone’s wheel. Next race – May 2nd, the Baraboo road race which will bring large hills, burning lungs and legs, and hopefully no flats this year!

No comments: