Thursday, July 8, 2010

ToAD Summary


Long time, no post…  June was a turbulent month with lots of travel for work and a good bit of racing at the end of the month which caused for my delay in updating this blog.  Now that June is past and things have begun to slow down, I’ve been able to reflect on the racing that took place as part of the Tour of America’s Dairyland.   

First and foremost, results were anything but stellar, but right on par for my season (6th overall).  The results (as seen on the left side of the blog) were decent by all means, but not the results that would lead to my season’s goal of winning the overall.  That goal was essentially tossed out after the Road America road race.  That race was going well until the final sprint climb.  A bonehead rider from the Brones team deliberately threw his handlebars into mine resulting in a loss of balance and momentum.  Race over.  Rolled it across for a disappointing 20 something place, and watch my goal ride away with those at the front.  That result allowed me to have more fun during the rest of the stages.

All went well for the next few criteriums and then again on the Greenbush road race, things didn’t go to plan.  I blew up after a counter attack into the headwind just before the finishing climb.  Didn’t have enough gas in the tank and I detonated.  No big deal because the next day we were rolling into Fond du Lac, my favorite crit course.  Flat, short and fast 4 corner course that allowed you to get good gaps on others in the corners.  That race was almost an exact replica of the previous year’s race in the Cat 4s, only with different riders in the break.  I missed getting that cow jersey with 20 meters to go.  I need to work on my sprinting!  Downer Ave and Waukesha rounded out the tour and I was able to get some of my entry fees back by taking two of the primes at Waukesha.

In the end, the Tour was again a great time and well organized event.  Costing a total of $54 in entry fees after recouping much of that from race winnings/primes, one can’t go wrong with paying $5.40 per race.  We’ll give the 2011 ToAD series a go again with hopefully a podium finish overall.

Next report will be coming from somewhere west of the Mississippi.  It’s vacation time!

No comments: