Monday, July 6, 2009

UW-Whitewater Road Race

The picture may be a little fuzzy but you get the point! It's a win! What a great day to have a race, 4th of July, light winds, warm temps, and sunny skies. Okay it was cloudy, but still a great day to race; however I felt as though I left my legs at home. The 4/5 race started out slowly especially as riders made their way up the climb on the first lap. Not too much excitement throughout the race however 5 other riders and I tried to organize a break on the climb during the 4th lap. It failed miserably as no one would pull through on the false-flat section of the climb and our gap was quickly brought back. The break attempt helped to bring my legs back and I could feel a bit of snap in them again. The course only had one long climb and then downhill the rest of the way which made keeping a break real difficult. We managed to drop a number of riders on the 5th lap but the field was still fairly large. I sat on the back of the field for the last two laps and didn’t move to the front until the long downhill section. Going into the finishing stretch (which was long) our pace kicked up in the low 30s. Everyone was working for position when two riders crossed wheels and caused a small pile-up with 400 meters to go. Three riders took off for the sprint early and gave me the perfect lead out. I came out of the saddle for my sprint with 150 meters to go and killed it to the line. Finally after 20 races this year I was able to pull off a win.

No comments: